Sunless Tanning: Tips For A Safe, Gorgeous Tan
Tanning products, both sunless and sun, work on the epidermis, or the outside layer of your skin, and not the dermis or inner layer.
When you apply a tanner or tanning lotion, crčme, spray, or towlette by gently rubbing the product into your outer skin layer, those that are most effective (the ones that list dihydroxyacetone or DHA as an active ingredient), begin to work within around 40 minutes to an hour.
DHA reacts with amino acids in the epidermis, producing a natural pigment called melanoidin that bonds with proteins in skin cells. The results are a change of color that can last up to about seven days.
Here are some tips to get the maximum benefit from your sunless tanning products.
Apply Your Self-Tanning Products At Night
Since most self-tanning lotions have no sunscreen for protection outdoors, the best time to use self-tanners is at night before going to bed.
If done earlier, allow a minimum of two hours and test for staining before putting back on your regular clothes. Use sprays or products that contain extra coloring formula earlier in the evening, or when you have more time to "dry" after applying.
Tanning How To's
1. Choose what you want to wear for tanning lines, whether it's a swimsuit or undergarments. Choose old clothing, especially without nylon, and not loose clothing.
2. Take a washcloth to exfoliate your skin, soap, moisturizer, your self-tanning lotion, disposable clear gloves, a nail brush, a ball cap, hair pins or accessories to keep hair from your face, a sponge roller brush or paintbrush if you apply product to your back, and access to a clock.
3. If you are not going to use disposable gloves, you should to wash your hands and scrub your nails about every minutes while applying the tanning product so that they don't stain orange.
4. Start with a shower or washing to remove dead, flaky and dry skin. Wash with your washcloth or exfoliation sponge, gently going in a circular motion. Dry yourself thoroughly and get hair up off your neck. Let steam out of the room.
5. Gently rub moisturizer into knees, ankles, elbows to prepare for the self-tanning solution. Some apply this to the face and neck areas, too.
6. Suit up and apply your tanning product. Beginners should practice on small areas first.
7. Begin by applying the tanning product to your legs. Work with one leg at a time, applying in a circular motion from top to bottom. Don't rub it in thin. You want a good even coating. For feet and ankles, go ahead and apply a little thinner coating.
8. Now start on your upper body. Continue applying product upwards in circular motion. Most prefer to cover the torso first, using the roller brush or paintbrush on the back, then continue with the arms.
9. Time to finish up with the neck, face, ears, nose, cheeks. "Go thin" is the motto for these areas.
10. Now it's time for drying. Wait at least 30 minutes before coming into contact with anything. Stand and read or sit on the edge of a chair and enjoy computer games, television, a friendly phone chat or something.
11. After the 30 minutes, you can wear loose clothing. Skip the jeans and other tight clothing to allow for around one to two hours. Check your specific product instructions for guidelines.
12. Keep in mind different products have different drying times, so don't get wet, even by sweating, for at least three hours.
13. Depending upon the tanning product and your skin, you may need to wash, exfoliate the dry, flaky, dead skin cells and re-apply product every few days or so. Check your product for guidelines and monitor your skin for any rashes or other irritations that could develop.
From start of application of the tanning product until complete drying time or about three hours, you can have a sunless tan that can last all week.
The chemical makeup of tanning products as well as how they interact with different parts of your body can affect tanning results. Some areas may show color variations and the tan may last longer.
Where Did My Tan Go?
Dead skin cells rub and wear off the epidermis, resulting in the fading or losing of the tan. Roughly once a month or a period between 35 to 45 days, the epidermis is regenerated.
In order to keep a tan going long-term, many companies recommend that you reapply their sunless and self-tanning products every three days.
For more tips on getting a gorgeous, long-lasting tan check out the Sunless Tanning Guide.
About the author: Priya Shah is the owner of a health portal on Natural Herbal Health Remedies
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
The Best Beauty Treatments For TravelersForbesNot only does this five-star palace boast the most Michelin-starred restaurants on the island, a dreamy private beach club and epic sunset views from its impeccably dressed suites, but it also has an impressive medical spa, Capri Beauty Farm by Mytha SPA.
Daily American Online
The murky secrets of clean beauty, explainedDaily American OnlineDespite the growing popularity of â€ścleanâ€ť beauty products, industry veterans say terms like â€śnaturalâ€ť and â€śorganicâ€ť are unregulated and often meaningless. Here's why that's the case. Tags. Usa Today. As featured on. 6 dubious clean beauty claims from ...
Buying Wholesale Salon Equipment
Buying salon equipment from a wholesaler is one option to consider when opening a new hair, nail or tanning salon. Wholesalers of salon equipment typically offer many different styles and brands of equipment because they don't specialize in one particular brand over another.
A Colorless Spray Tan? What the...
For months now I've had a steady stream of tanners coming into my spray tanning salon and leaving 10 minutes later with the colour of their skin in no way different from the one that they came in with.Yet, they come again and again.
Soothing The Itch - Natural Remedies For Itchy Skin
Has your scalp or skin ever been uncomfortably itchy? Do
you know someone who has an itchy scalp or itchy skin?
Itching can cause extreme misery for the sufferer, however
many causes of itchiness can be solved with simple
remedies. There are many reasons why the scalp or skin
may be irritated.
17 Top Tips for Great Holiday Hair
When you are away from home in a different climate your hair will be subjected to weather it is not used to.Your hair needs to be protected in the same way that you do with your skin.
How To Establish A Base Tan Without Getting Burned
Lets face it. A nice tan makes you look and feel great.
The Right Beauty Supplies Will Make You Look Great!
Use beauty supplies the right way and yours could well be the face that launched a thousand ships! Growing old may be mandatory, but looking it certainly isn't. It's just that one has to do it right.
Look Natural - Wear Makeup!
Have you ever considered how difficult it is to look natural? Quite difficult - isn't it? Especially if there had been no makeup available to achieve it! Many-a-website points out how ordinary our glamorous celebrities look in real life without makeup on. No wonder then that they are always on the lookout for innovative makeup supplies.
Being a Beautiful Bride
Everybody wants to be a glowing beautiful bride on that special day. Taking care of your skin will make it appear more flawless when the makeup artist will apply the foundation.
Skin Care: Organic, Natural or Scientifically Advanced - Which is Best?
In an age where fear of water impurities has millions drinking bottled water, and concerns about genetically engineered corn has others searching for "natural food sources", many people are also wondering what type of products to use for healthy skincare.We are frightened by the new world we seemingly live in, and at first blush may think that organic or natural is the way to go - as the words "organic" and "natural" in and of themselves engender visions of a time when life was simpler, purer and more wholesome.
Beauty SleepThe health and beauty of a good night's sleep
by Cathy GatsonSleeping is a necessity, not a luxury. A good night's sleep is just as crucial to maintaining wellness as is a healthy diet and proper exercise.
Dry Skin Prevention Tips
If you suffer from dry skin your probably always looking for different ways to help improve your condition. There are some different products that can help keep it under control, many of witch don't help that well.
Buying Home Whitening Kits like Whitestrips
Tired of stained, yellow teeth? Want to give yourself a beautiful, whiter smile? Then perhaps you have thought about at home teeth whitening kits. In January 2004, Consumer Reports wrote "Home kits do whiten teeth for far less than you'd pay for a professional treatment.
Wheres The Plastic In Plastic Surgery?
Don't be looking for the Dupont Company sales rep the next time you visit a Plastic Surgeon's office because, despite popular belief, there's no "Plastic" in Plastic Surgery. The name is taken from the Greek word "plastikos" which means to "mold or shape.
Straight Hairstyles Are Easy
The patented ultra smooth ceramic plates on flat iron hair straighteners produce a smooth straightening motion that eliminates potentially damaging snagging or pulling, resulting in salon quality hairstyles.Whether your hair is fine, coarse, dry, oily, or damaged, a good flat iron ceramic hair straightener will help you to finally obtain the hairstyles you have been looking for without the addition of chemical treatments or the expense of a salon visit.
A Crazy Life and Pimples
The factors contributing to acne breakouts are many. Hormonal influences, environmental conditions, and stress can lead to the noticeable red inflammation that occupies our face, chest, and backs to various degrees.
Cosmetics & Toiletries - Global Outsourcing & Private Label Manufacturing
Hi, My name is Rasik Botadra, am currently working as an Analyst with business news magazine & new papers.I am writing this article in view of India emerging as Highly potential Global Outsourcing & Solutions Provider for finished Consumer products & General Merchandise.
Effects of Tanning Beds - Is it a Boon or a Bane?
Tanning beds - a boon or a bane? That is the million dollar question that's uppermost on all tanning-interested people. The effect of tanning beds is not a subject that can be put to rest quickly as the pros and cons maintain almost a supernatural balance with each other.
Beauty Secrets of the Stars
It comes as no surprise that many of the most beautiful and famous people go to great lengths to maintain their youthful appearance. They work out with personal trainers.
Sunless Tanning Salons Today
When the weather starts to warm up and the days get longer, we are all drawn outdoors to enjoy the sun. Many will recall seemingly endless hours outdoors, soaking up the sun's rays without a care.
Makeup Tips for 40, 50, and Beyond
Growing older doesn't have to be a burden. Aging is a part of life and if we learn to appreciate our bodies and faces we will feel much more comfortable and live a much happier, stress-free life.